Wednesday, October 8, 2008

baking with Grandma








When I was a kid growing up, my Mom used to make us clean and do baking every Saturday. This was not an activity I loved at all. I could not stand to make cookies, I just did not have a patience for it at all. Come to think of it, I didn't have a lot of patience for lots of the things I had to do as a child. We would make cakes and cookies to store in the freezer, so we would have them for the coming week. No store bought goodies for us! I think I volunteered for the cakes most of the time because I really hated dropping the cookies on the baking sheet, it just took to much time. My Mothers love for baking must have rubbed off on me and I spent many hours making the same treats for my kids, but it was still work. Now that I am a Grandma, one a my very favorite activities is baking with Katelyn, and now Cameron. I made an apron for Katelyn and we have been sharing this fun activity since she was old enough to stand on a stool and help. Now little Cameron wants in on the act. He is not really into the measuring and spinning the bowl like Katelyn, but he none the less loves squeezing up on the stool and being part of the whole thing. I guess his official duty at this point is the taster. He loves the whip cream and the frosting. He can't say a lot of words but you definitely know when he needs a reload on the frosting. Cooking with Katelyn is just a joy. She loves to count the cups of sugar and flour and dump all the ingredients in the bowl (she does an excellent job too). The best part is when she shows Daddy the cake we made and loves the big smile on his face. Daddy loves his cake!

I am not sure how to describe what happens to you when you become a grandparent, some kind of transformation happens. The things you were just to busy to enjoy, now bring you so much joy. I love to watch them play, grow and change. I love to watch my children be parents, and see them do so much better job than I ever did. Whatever it is, you just cant beat having them all on your lap. As Grandpa Glade said, "it just doesn't get any better than this" and I have to agree.

2 comments:

Jill Skouson said...

Very cute! I love this post. You're a wonderful mom and grandmother :)

Nicole said...

What a great post! We are so glad you get to come and visit and be such a part of the kids lives! Thank you and Glade for comming this weekend.